Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Winter Storm Linus and Sections 3 & 4

Sam the trail chief was right about sections 3 & 4, with 12-16 inches of new snow they were brutal. I had been averaging 2.5 mph, but dropped to 1 mph in the deep snow.

The first 2 miles of section 3 were really easy, but once the snow depth reached 10 inches I really slowed down. There were long stretches where I was knee deep.

I arrived 90 minutes late for my pickup after section 3. I can't thank Patrick the Wilmington Innkeeper enough for patiently waiting for me. 

Section 4 got off to an interesting start. I took a snow mobile trail for the first two miles where I should have intersected with the CT, but I never found the trail, despite my gps telling me I was on top of it. At -9F degrees, and knowing I had a long day in front of me I decided to cut across the reservoir which had 6-8" of snow cover (much easier). 

I found the CT at the far end of the reservoir with 3 miles to go. This is the section that killed me. Snow depth was 12-24" and really sloooow. After 15 minutes I realized I had strained my adductor muscles from pushing/ lifting through the deep snow. I was able to finish, but I'll need a few days to let my adductor muscles recover. I'll skip section 5 and maybe 6 as well depending on how i feel. 

It's all part of the adventure😃.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob, great blog! Enjoying the pictures.

    Straining an abductor like that beats doing it shoveling snow up onto 7 foot mounds by your driveway. Hope that you can get back on the trail soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, if you have to cut it short, I'll console you with wine at my house!

    ReplyDelete