Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Blueberry Hill to Rikert XC ski center

The ski from BB Hill to Rikert (thru to Wagon Wheel road) was the most pleasant 12 miles of skiing I've done on the trail. The terrain was undulating, but relatively flat, and in the woods. The trails were all groomed or broken. There was a nice long downhill with bumps heading down to highway 125.

Rikert is a a special place for me, it's where all of my kids cross country ski'd for the first time. I ski'd into the center to have some lunch and to warm up by the wood stove. At Tony's suggestion (he knows everyone around here) I sought out Mike at Rikert and we chatted about the trail and how I could ski directly to the Chipman Inn.

Since cell coverage is so poor here I had arranged with my wife, who was driving in from Massachusetts, to leave a message at Rikert regarding when to pick me up from Wagon Wheel road. By chance, while I was having a bowl of soup at Rikert, she walked in 😀.

Tony from BB Hill stopped in at the Chipman while we were there. He's known Chris, Chipman Innkeeper, since the 70's. I introduced Tony to my family and Jackie mentioned that she went to Bates. Tony mentioned a student there that he knew, Jackie knew her and had even seen her that day at Rikert.

No comments:

Post a Comment