Saturday, February 28, 2015

Mount Mansfield from Elmore base

The 14 miles around Mt Elmore was easier than I expected, except for a few miles thru meadows the trail was well used. Although bitterly cold at the start, -9, it was a great day for skiing, nothing but blue sky all around.

The night before I met Steve at the Lost Nation Brew Pub. Steve could easily identify with my journey, he's climbed Rainier, McKinley, and the tallest peak in Antarctica - talk about adventure! At one point Steve asked, is your next challenge to ski hut to hit in Norway? I laughed and showed him an email I received just 2 days before from my Norwegian friend Ole inviting me to ski hut to hit in Norway in early April 😀.

I arranged for a ride back to my hotel from Sigh Searles, section 26 co-trail chief. Once again the timing worked out well, I just finished putting on my warm clothing when Sigh pulled up. Sigh is retired and teaches classic track skiing at Craftsbury. Sigh took a detour on the way back to the hotel to show me where the next section of trail had been recently re-routed and other skiers have had trouble finding their way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment