Saturday, February 28, 2015

Equipment List

To help others who consider a similar XC ski adventure, here's a list of equipment I've taken along (see corresponding pics). With food and water my max pack weight is 25 pounds. It's light enough that I really don't notice it. Note that my trip has been inn to inn, so no camping equipment was required).

Of all the equipment the only things I haven't used are my rain jacket, rain cover, matches, and compass. I'm glad to have them anyway. In particular, I've been in Stowe skiing in the rain before.

Skiing alone, the only thing I should have in my sack, but don't, is an emergency satellite locator.

I've been happy with all of my equipment choices. No failures yet with 1 week to go. I spent the most time on boot selection - fit, warmth, durability and I'm really pleased with the Alpina Alaska.

1)
 Rossignol BC 90 skis
Rotefella magnum NNC bindings
Alpina Alaska boots (weather has been unusually cold this year, but my feet have never been cold)
OR rocky Mtn Gators (my shins have been cold a few times when breaking trail, but not worth having insulated gators)
Swix ALU Touring poles
North Face Prophet 52 backpack (really comfortable)

2) 
North Face lightweight rain jacket
Columbia ski jacket (omni wind/heat)
Arc'Teryx down jacket

3)
OR shell mittens with fleece glove inserts
Serius ski gloves
Very lightweight gloves from Costco (I use these the most when skiing, either alone or with the OR shells)
Patagonia fleece/wool hat
Skull cap
North Face balaclava

4)
32 oz Thermos (to keep water from freezing - works well)
Climbing skins (magic carpets, a must for long steep climbs)
Maxi glide
EasyAcc auxiliary phone charger (iPhone freaks in cold weather, this charger has saved me several times when I needed to make a call or use gps in the cold)
Pocket knife
Ibuprofen
Band aids
CT guide book
Insulated lunch bag (never had a frozen lunch)
Black Diamond headlamp
Matches
Duct Tape
Handkerchief

5)
Waterproof sacks

6)
North Face XC primary layer x 2
LL Bean fleece (for after skiing)
Swix XC secondary layer (only used on the coldest days and for long downhills)

7)
Columbia rain pants
Sporthill XC pants
EMS hiking pants (for after skiing)
Alpine Lowe nylon tights

8) Merrell hiking boots (I did have vasque snow hiking boots for the first part of the trip, but traded them for a lighter pair - i'm only using them to walk to dinner)

Not shown)
iPhone & charger (with CT Map app)
Wallet
Toothbrush & paste
Sock liners x2 (wicking & blister prevention)
Smart wool socks x2
Ex officio nylon briefs x2
Backpack rain cover
Ski scraper
Sunglasses
Compass (in case iPhone fails)
Tiny notebook and pencil (for journal)

No comments:

Post a Comment