Saturday, February 14, 2015

More on Section 12

I forgot to mention a few things about Section 12 into Killington. It's amazing to me how many people are willing to help me on my journey.

I arranged a pickup with "Plans Too Much" an Appalachian Trail angel. He's a retired Army  colonel who's walked the trail around Vermont since his youth. He was unable to give me a ride back to Brewers Corner in theorning because he was volunteer driving vets to doctor offices. However, his wife Catherine was able to help me out the next morning.

On returning to Brewers corner I met the trail chief for Section 12S (Hilary?). We talked about the trail and the deep snow conditions. They confirmed that I should expect to go no faster than 1mph on the unbroken trails. Good to hear, I was wondering if I was a wous 😀. Seeing I was getting dropped off they offered to help me with rides - so cool.

After finishing for the day I ski'd along highway 4 from the trailhead to the inn along the top of the plowed snow, .8 miles. Must have caused a stir for all the cars going by. Going back this morning I was worried about skiing back down to the trail along the snow banks because it was downhill and I was concerned about my ability to stop on top of the narrow banks.

Last night I met Rama, his wife, and son  Naresh from Stamford CT by the fire waiting for dinner. This morning I asked them for a ride to the trail, they were very happy to oblige.




No comments:

Post a Comment