Sunday, February 22, 2015

Over the Hump

Friday and Saturday I made it from hwy 17 near mad river glen up and over Camel's Hump down to interstate 89 near Jonesville. I affixed my climbing skins for the first time to ascend the hump  - I swear the skins have magic powers, I had no problem with the ascent. Even though I was breaking trail on 7 of the 10 miles of section 19, the snow depth wasn't nearly as bad as what I had been through near Lincoln gap 2 days before.

To start the trip, Dick, from Marblehead, gave me a ride to the trailhead near Mad River Barn. The day before we had discussed our outdoor adventures and the wonders of Yellowstone, where he worked when he was younger. Going to Yellowstone was the best vacation I ever took: geysers, the canyon, wildlife, and hiking - awesome.

At the trailhead I met a downhiller who had skinned up and climbed for a mile to get a free ride down before he headed off to work. Nice to have broken trail to start the day. 

I decided to break sections 19 and 20 into 3 segments. The first day with unbroken trail I expected to take a long time and I didn't want to run out of daylight. I arranged to be picked up on Trapp road at 5pm, but I got there at 2:30. So, I walked into Main Street in Huntington and started hitch hiking. After being "tsk, tsk'd" by a few minivan moms, I got a lift from Casey, a carpenter and snow boarder. Casey had been in the forest looking for a place to build a mound so he could catch some air😀. Casey, local to Huntington, made his way to Windekind by feel.

I've hitchhiked twice now and both times it's been boarders who picked me up, clearly we're kindred spirits.

When I arrived at Windekind I discovered that it's self catering. Not a problem, except I didn't bring any groceries. Marijke very kindly brought me a basket of goods for dinner and breakfast and we arranged to stop at the grocery the next morning on the way to the trailhead.

From Trapp Rd I was able to ski right into Windekind Farm for lunch and to use my suite as a warming hut.

The skiing North & South of Trapp Rd (Cobb Brook) was difficult because of all of the downed trees - on the order of 100. At times it was hard to see where the trail was.

Mark, from Windekind, and I decided it would be easier for him to pick me up Saturday afternoon rather than on Sunday, so I ski'd out the door of Windekind down to Interstate 89 Saturday. That gives me a day off today, Sunday - in trail parlance it's called a zero day.

The skiing from Windekind down to the Interstate was pure pleasure - the trail has been well used and the climbs were gentle heading North.

On our rides to/from the trail Mark and I had a chance to get acquainted. I also made fast friends with his dog Elsie (golden lab) who sat on my lap on the way to the grocery. 

Mark is a big supporter of the Catamount and is really intrigued by what I'm doing. He's unaware of anyone else attempting a "thru ski" of the Catamount going Inn to Inn.

Mark and Marijke are hosting a meeting with local landowners and the Catamount Trail org today to discuss re-routing the trail. Mark invited me along to add color.




No comments:

Post a Comment